Thursday, January 28, 2016

Mom Guilt

Mom guilt is a very real thing. It comes in all shapes, sizes, and circumstances.

 I go to the Children's Museum here in Houston quite often.  A few weeks ago,
I had someone ask me if I take Malachi, my 10 month old, to the Tot Spot play area.  My reply was "No, we go wherever Big Brother wants to go." And then it was there. Mom guilt.

I have been struggling with this specific kind of mom guilt since Malachi was born.  I feel and at times feel guilty because I don't do the same things for Malachi that I used to do for Benaiah.  Benaiah doesn't get to do the same things he use to.

Benaiah got my undivided attention.  Malachi does not. As the boys are constantly battling for my attention.

Malachi has had many interrupted nursing sessions because I had to stop his big brother from coloring on the walls.

I've had to let Malachi cry more on the floor by himself while I attended to Benaiah.

Benaiah has had to climb the chairs and counter tops to get something to eat because I was preoccupied.

Malachi never gets to go to library story time because Benaiah doesn't like it.

Benaiah doesn't get to go to a gymnastics center anymore because I couldn't keep up with both of them.

More recently, Benaiah got to play in the Tot Spot area as a baby and small child. Malachi will not except for very special occasions.
The list can go on and on.

I spent months crying and battling over this guilt that my children have to share me.  That my arms are not fully theirs at all times. The transition from one child to two children is not easy for any one. I've learned that though we can't do the same things we use to in the same way, my boys are learning a lesson that can't always be taught.  It has to be learned from experience.

We have to put others first and our needs and wants will not be met immediately met when we want them to be. When I am faced with mom guilt that deals with my children battling for my attention, I have to constantly remind myself that it's good for my children.  They are learning life lessons.


Malachi may never get to play in the Tot Spot area, but he gets to play right along big brother and learn life lessons that can't be taught. He gets to be apart of the action.  He constantly gets a loving pint-sized sometimes rough hug from his big brother.  He may not get all my attention, but he is so loved.

Don't let mom guilt cripple you.  Allow yourself to embrace your new season of life.  It is oh so hard, but very rewarding.

Don't become weary in doing good. For at the proper time you will reap a harvest if you do not give up.  Galatians 6:9 (Leah's Paraphrased Version) :)




No comments:

Post a Comment