Thursday, May 12, 2016

Our Best Yes: How becoming a mom to a 16 year old when I'm only 25 changed my life.



Today, I'm sharing about the beautiful new addition to the Mandujano home.

In January, my 16 year old sister-in-law came to live with us.  She spent the night after babysitting for us and one night turned into a week.  After the week, we asked her if she'd like to stay with us permanently.

She began to slowly move her things into our spare guest room.  Now it's fully decorated the way she wants and the furniture is arranged the way she likes it.  It's her room.  It's her house. Her home. 

Last month, a very dear woman in my life said, "You are saving her life."  I wrongly brushed her comment off.   I guess it's hard to hear that as I don't think I am. I think we are just doing what's right. What everyone should do, if they are handed the situation.

See, the truth is she's saving our lives. She saved our lives from living within ourselves in our four walls.  She's made us think outside ourselves. She truly shows us how Jesus cares for the broken. She shows us what true gratitude is. She gives us a steadfast perseverance. She gives us new perspective.

A few months ago I thought the boys were giving me a rough time.  And I looked at her and said, "Girl, these kids are going crazy tonight."

She looked at me seriously and said, "Honestly, I think it's you. They're acting the same." 

That comment put me in check.  This girl makes me a better mom.

On mother's day she wrote the kindest most loving words that had me in tears:

I responded by saying, "Love this girl. She teaches me what it means to do what's right even when it's hard. She teaches me to climb mountains while rocks are coming down. She reminds me of what Jesus can truly do in a person's life to completely turn them around set them on solid ground. To the girl who made me a girl mom. Love you and I'm beyond proud of you." 

I mean every word.  I would have never dreamed that I'd be a mom to a 16 year old in my twenties, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.  She grows me. She challenges me. She makes me better. She's been my best "yes".  

When you see a need, don't think of excuses of why you can't. Find excuses to say, "Yes." Maybe it's not taking someone into your home that needs a safe place. Maybe it's mentoring a child by taking them to dinner or lunch, even if it's while your kids play at Chick-Fil-A while y'all chat. Maybe it's being a father figure to a son/daughter of a single mom by taking your family to attend their game or by inviting that child over to dinner with your family. God is calling His people to care for those in need. Next time you find yourself conjuring up multiple excuses, find one reason to say, "Yes." It will change your life. One "yes" certainly changed mine. 

Always,
Leah

P.S. I'll be sharing about how we've been teaching her about money soon! And how to get started teaching your kids/teenagers about money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment