Monday, November 10, 2014

Needing More Contentment

One of my favorite quotes is the following:  


Let us let that sink in for moment.

This is ardently important for us to understand if we want to win in our financial journey.  Contentment is key.  Comparison keeps us from our contentment. 

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4: 11-12

Last week I caught myself day-dreaming about a new compact SUV.  Currently, I drive a 2001 Honda CRV with 150,000 miles on it.  We were a one car family (our choice) until we purchased the Honda in February of 2013 for less than $4,000.  The driver's side window doesn't roll down. And it has sun damage.  However, it runs. :) It gets me to where I need to go.  It hauls my son and all his gear.  

I was completely content with my vehicle until I saw those new pretty CRV's...  I compared.  Benaiah and I were at a park last week in a nice neighborhood.  Here I was with my lovely paid for CRV and I parked next to a mommy and her new CRV. For a moment, I dreamed of what it would be like having a nicer car. 

Then I stopped.

We are doing something a lot different than other families.  We are doing something crazy.  We are choosing to live like broke people so we can become free from being owned by credit card companies, banks, and government student loan agencies.  We have tried to impress people we didn't like and purchased a car that made us suffer financially.  

Maybe for you it's not a car. Maybe it's a house or future home, clothes, designer bags, shoes, electronics, or vacations. To win financially, we must be content with what we have and can afford.  If you don't like what you can afford, work harder. Ha! Don't dig yourself into debt just so you can lie to your own friends and family about how your life looks.


Not being content is a reason why people get themselves into tough financial situations.  We look at other peoples things and we turn around and choose not to be thankful for what we have. 
I feel like Christians are the worst in this area.  It's that, "let me look like I have it all together, but suffer on the inside," mentality.  It must be broken.  Christ called us to be free not to be slaves.  He's asked us to follow him not follow our stuff.  His grace is sufficient in our weak moments.  



It's okay to want and have nice things, but you have to go about doing it the right way.  Taking out loans on cars to impress people you don't even like is well, dumb. We've done it, but no more. Do I want to drive my 2001 Honda CRV for the next 5 years? Of course not. For now, while we are cleaning up our debts and saving for a new baby, we are content with our cars.  Will we save up and upgrade our cars? Yes, eventually. Though, It won't be an extravagant car purchase.  There won't be any loans taken out on them. We learned our lesson the hard way and won't be doing it again. 

Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 1 Timothy 6:6-8

I know God is calling us for a greater purpose in this season. He's teaching us contentment. I am excited to look back on these moments 5 years from now and see where He was leading us from.  

Until next time,
Leah 
Xoxo

Look for a Christmas Budgeting Blog soon! 

Image Citations:
http://livelaughrowe.com/one-word-comparison/

No comments:

Post a Comment