Monday, November 24, 2014

Christmas Budgeting!!

Christmas is in 1 month!

Are you ready?

I have already completed my Christmas shopping besides a few items like Houston Zoo Lights, White Elephant gifts, and our random giving category.  I do not like crowded places, especially in Houston, so I am avoiding them at all costs. Ha!

I wanted to give you a quick overview of how I made my budget and completed it. Also, I'll give you a great resource that I used.

Christmas 2013


How to Make a Christmas Budget:

Step 1: Choose an Amount to Spend

Christmas 2013
Give yourself a set amount to spend on Christmas.  Make it a reasonable amount.  If you can't pay your essentials like food, shelter, transportation, and/or utilities, I urge you NOT to spend anything on Christmas.  It is more important that you take care of priorities first.

The amount you may choose to spend is completely up to you and your family.  It is also based on what you're able to put aside.  Do not put it on credit cards or use your emergency fund.  Christmas is not a surprise or an emergency.  It comes at the same time every year.

We chose to spend $500.  We came up with this amount according to what we were able to put aside and according to what we wanted to purchase.


Step 2: Choose your Categories and Amounts

Family $320
Benaiah's gift. He doesn't even know...
Pick the family members you'll be buying gifts for.  We normally only purchase gifts for our niece and nephews and each of our parents. Write down their names and the amount you wish to spend on each person/child.  This category should also include your husband, wife, and kids.  I spent more on Fabian and Benaiah than anybody else. :)


Friends/Coworkers  $40
We really kept our budget to $10 per friend.  Cheap? Maybe.  We're on a budget and I wanted to spend it on my family more. lol

Charity $30
The best part of the season is giving! Set aside an amount to give or buy lunch/dinner for a random person.

Other $110
This includes gift wrap, events, parties, white elephant gifts, Houston Zoo Lights, decor, Christmas Trees etc..

The above amounts added up together equals to $500!
Maybe you would give and take more from my above categories. That is totally okay! Just give a plan for your money.  Boss it around and tell it where to go.

Step 3: Stick to Your Christmas Budget!

Cash it out:  Write the name of the category on an envelope and take those with you when you go shopping.  This is an easy way to keep track of the money.

Debit card it out: Every time you use your debit card keep the receipt. Afterwards, go home and physically write out or type out what you spent from your Christmas budget.  This was my preferred way of doing my Christmas shopping.

I ended up spending less that what I thought I would.  I have more room for extra giving or gifts. Yay!

Extras:
Cheap, but Good! Gift Ideas:

Glass Dry Erase Board
  • $10-$15 Gift cards to wherever. Starbucks, Whataburger, Subway, Chick Fil A, iTunes and the list goes on.
  • DIY gifts.  Craft something! Handmade gifts are the best! I crafted some glass dry erase boards and chalk boards.  Each cost me less than $5.  Bought some stuff at Goodwill and Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon from my email.  I made some cute things for my friends.  Hope they like them. Ha! Do you sew or knit?  Do you make wreaths?
  • Bake something! I love me some chewy chocolate chip cookies. Again, handmade gifts. 
  • Movie Night Basket.  You can use an older $5 movie with popcorn and candy.
Comment any other Cheap, but Good! Gift Ideas! :)
Chalkboard made by me! :)

Other Resources:
This is from Dave Ramsey's website.  IT IS FREE! We used this to do our Christmas budget.  Login with your email. Super easy to use! You can even pull it up on your smart phone while shopping.  Check it out. It can't hurt.

There are also some free Christmas Budgeting apps I saw that are available for use too. Look for them on the app store.

Hope this helps and gives you some good ideas! 


All my love,
Leah

Any questions?
My email is leah.mandujano@gmail.com










No comments:

Post a Comment