Friday, January 8, 2016

12 Books for 2016

One of my goals this year is to read 1 book a month.  The following are my picks for books this year.  I found them from various places.  Some books are from authors/pastors/speakers I've come to respect.  Some books are recommendations from friends. 

Reading helps me to engage in my life more as it has me thinking about how to become a better Jesus follower, wife, mom, and simply an all around better person. 

All of my reads this year are non-fiction.  Don't let me fool you, I love fiction books too. Though in this season of life I have a desire to know Him more.  I have a desire to successfully steward the opportunities I've been given for Him. 

So here goes! 

1. Instructing a Child's Heart by Tedd and Margy Tripp
  • I got this book for Christmas from a dear friend of mine. 
2. Strong Mothers, Strong Sons by Dr. Meg Meeker
  • I've read this book before and loved it so much.  The subtitle is, "Lessons Mothers Need to Raise Extraordinary Men."
3. Undaunted by Christine Caine

  • Been meaning to read this book for years. The subtitle is, "Daring to do what God calls you to do." 
  • I heard Christine Caine when I lived in Missouri and fell in love with her zeal for the Lord and her teaching style. 
4. The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor
  • The subtitle is, "The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work." "When we are positive, our brains become more engaged, creative, motivated, energetic, resilient, and productive at work."
  • I listened to a podcast called Entreleadership Podcast, Episode #121.   Shawn Achor was the guest speaker and my mind was blown.  I cannot say enough about it. I'm looking forward to reading this book.
5. The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko
  • It's about average millionaires and how most of them start from nothing, live very frugally, and end up being entirely successful.  It slams the millionaire stereotypes of flashy cars and big houses. 
  • I've read some of it, but I'd like to read through the whole thing.
6. The Legacy Journey by Dave Ramsey
  • Many of you know, I am a Ramsey fan.  This book is about what the Bible says about money. I got one from the library, but I'd like my own copy so I can highlight and underline all over it. 
7. The Good Fight by Les and Leslie Parrott
  • It's a marriage book about how conflict is good in a marriage when it's handled correctly. 
8. For the Love by Jen Hatmaker
  • I've never heard of this author. I had a friend, Sharon, post a picture of this book way back.  I screen shot it and forgot about.  Decided to give it a look. 
  • The subtitle says, "Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards." 
9. Ever After: Life Lessons Learned in My Castle of Chaos by Vicki Courtney
  • This one is kind of random.  Saw it on online as a Bible Study and decided to read the book instead. 
  • It's about being a wife and motherhood. Basically my life. It's about my life. 
10. Start by Jon Acuff 
  • Fabian has been raving about this book. 
  • The subtitle is, "Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average and Do Work that Matters."
11. Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin
  • The subtitle is, "What I learned About Making and Breaking Habits--to Sleep More, Quit Sugar, Procrastinate Less, and Generally Build a Happier Life."
  • I heard her on the Entreleadership podcast, Episode #101.
12. #Stuggles by Craig Groeschel

  • I listen to Groeschel's sermon podcasts very frequently.  Love his content.  The subtitle is, "Following Jesus in a Selfie-Centered World." 
Let me know if you decided to read one or more! I'd love to read them with you so we can discuss them. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment