Monday, June 30, 2014

Losing that Baby Weight and Without a Gym

Any mom knows that their body is NEVER the same after having kids. Ever.


About two months after my son's birth, I was ready to start losing my 30 pounds of weight gain.

The only way I've ever lost weight was by exercise and dieting.  What I mean by dieting is that I ate healthy.  I didn't do anything crazy like no carbs or no sugar.  I have never deprived myself of those delicacies.  If I did, I am certain I would give up on my diet completely. As a side note, I have never taken any diet pills

I've heard the following statement: It took 9 months for my body to change and it will take 9 months for my body to return back.  I lost weight in stages of my son's age. The older he got the easier it became to find time to workout.

Getting started to me is the hardest part about exercising.  Once I start the run or workout, I complete it and feel accomplished.

I love this! It really is all about starting!
When Benaiah was 2 months old, I started to go running only 2 times a week using the C25K phone application.  This app. trains an inexperienced runner for a 5k. I would nurse my son, give him to my husband and go for a run.  Almost every day, I took a 30 minute walk with the baby in the stroller.  I would time my walk. 

Sometimes I would miss running completely for a few weeks. However, I continued to go for 30 minute walks with my son while my husband was at work.  The days when I would have our only car, I would go to local parks and do a "stroller workout." 

A stroller workout is a strength exercise done using a stroller.  I would do squats, lunges, crunches, and push-ups at a park with Benaiah sleeping in the stroller.  I was not able to run with him yet because he was too small at the time. Every now and then I would go running by myself at our apartment gym in the morning.  At this time, I wasn't exercising profusely just every now and then.  I was mindful of foods that I would buy and I continued to nurse my son.  Nursing burns calories.  I only lost a few pounds. Nothing to be noticed though.  

However, the point is that I started slowly.  It's amazing how much confidence I felt by choosing to be active even though my pre-pregnancy clothes still didn't fit.  There really is something about working hard toward a goal that makes me feel self-assured.  Also, I can't sit a home complaining about my body or my lack of discipline if I'm not doing anything about it.  If I'm tired of being overweight, I'm going to do something about it. 


Going on our daily 30 minute walks







When my son turned 6 months old, I was finally able to run with him in our jogging stroller.  As a family, when it wasn't cold, we would go run (using C25K) and occasionally do a stroller workout around our apartment complex or at a nearby park.  However, when it was cold, I would go use our apartment's (free) gym. I used this gym very rarely. (I could only use it when my husband watched the baby.) 

Gym Tangent:  Gym's for a family can cost over $100 per month.  We decided to cut expenses, meaning no Gym Memberships.  

8 months post baby, I started to notice a difference in my body.  My pre-pregnancy jeans wear fitting again! Still a little tight, but I was able to button them! I am not sure how much weight I lost because I avoid weighing myself.  However, I could see the change.

We moved to a different neighborhood 9 months post baby.  This brings me to what I have currently been doing to lose weight. The juicy details are to follow. 

Currently, I have been running and doing Jillian Michaels workout videos. Those workout videos are NO JOKE!  I love these videos. Once I start, I have to finish.  

When I try doing my own workouts at home, I do them half-hearted and most likely wrong. She, through the videos, taught me how to do effective workouts and to keep going.  Once I push play there is no returning. I must finish. 

I have still been using the C25K app. using interval run-walk techniques.  This has been great for a beginner runner like myself. Recently, I finally got brave enough to challenge myself and run 20 minutes straight.  I have never had the endurance to run for that long in my entire life.  I actually dislike running, but it gives results. 

Exercise: I run 3 to 4 times a week.  I do the Ripped in 30 video workout by Jillian Michaels 5 times a week.  I just finished Week 3 and I am currently on Week 4.  I will start the 30 Day Shred workout next.  I've definitely been seeing results already.  

Diet: I've been counting my calories and weighing my food portions.  I still buy sweets sometimes. I limit myself though.  Besides giving in to my sweet cravings, I do not buy any unhealthy foods for my house. I avoid them.  If there are a bag of Ranch Doritos in my house, I can guarantee that I will eat the whole bag in one sitting.  Therefore, no junk food allowed. It is best to keep the temptation away especially in the cabinets of the house.  I also do food prep with a plethora (love that word) of tub-o-ware. I do meal planning which involves a detailed grocery list. 

My grocery list also helps with budgeting! :)



That's how I've been losing weight! It hasn't been easy, but It sure has made me a more confident and healthy mom.

Just a reminder that I did this slowly. My journey has not been about losing weight rather it was about being healthy and gaining confidence.  Even though I still have more to go in this process, I am happy in my own skin right now.  I'm proud of what my body has endured from pregnancy to post pregnancy.

We are super women! We need to give ourselves the chance to be.

Thanks for letting me share my year long adventure. I'll try to share my ups and downs as I continue on.

I'll be posting soon about where I find the time in the day to do these workouts. <3

Always,
Leah




No comments:

Post a Comment