Thursday, July 24, 2014

I'm That Mom

You know the one.

That mom whose kid is the dirtiest at the library play group.  Today Benaiah's face was covered in dirt.  His clothes were stained with lunch, dirt, and chalk (he ate some).  His hair was matted with sweat from sitting in his black car seat that is rear-facing.  Oh, and I didn't feel like pinning him to the ground to put socks on, so he just had shoes on. At least he had a clean diaper on, hopefully.

Today, I actually changed into real clothes.  Real clothes means a t-shirt and blue jean shorts. I had no make-up  on and wore a hat to cover my crazy hair.

I've been that non-mom that looks at a kid with dirt all over his face and thinks "Why doesn't she just wipe his face?"  Because he hates it. Because I did wipe his face and he got it dirty again.

But today, I was that mom and I didn't care.

Today, my son smiled every hour.  It was a good day.

Today, for the first time he clapped.  He was dirty and learned it from the library play group, but he clapped.

Today, he talked my ear off. Baby words, but still!

Today, after our afternoon library excursion, he fell asleep in the car.  I picked him up out of his car seat and he stayed asleep.

Today, for the first time in a long time, we cuddled on the couch for an hour while he napped.



These past 14 months of motherhood, I've learned that the moments that I pictured before Benaiah's birth don't exist.  The moments that end up being my favorite are the un-planned un-distracted unexpected ebb and flow of every day life.

Sure, I was that mom. Today, I know we had a great day of laughter and accomplishments. My child may not have looked prim and pressed, but he was extremely happy and content. So bring on the dirt.  I know there's will always be some to roll in.

No comments:

Post a Comment