Monday, June 29, 2015

Mid-Year Debt Killing Update

Hello Friends!

I am going to do my best to start blogging regularly again. Be patient with me. As you can imagine, my two year old and 3 month old are a hand full!

I'm excited to start sharing our "getting out of debt" journey with y'all again. Hopefully, you will be encouraged to start your own journey toward financial fitness, whether that be budgeting, saving, getting out of debt, or maybe all three.

Our finances touch all aspects of our lives. I earnestly believe that we must be purposeful and thoughtful about our money in order to win.

I would like you to think about these questions.
Do you know how much debt you have?
How much money in payments do you pay per month?
What could you do with that amount of money each month if you didn't have those payments?
The above questions are really what ignited us to start this journey.

About two years ago Fabian and I found ourselves living paycheck to paycheck with no plan for our money. All our credit cards for emergencies were just about maxed out. We had numerous store credit cards and even a medical credit card. We had a 10% interest car loan. (Now refinanced and almost paid off!) Lastly, we had and have student loans. At times I find myself embarrassed by the former debts described, but then I am reminded that we were normal! Sadly, most Americans have these debts and are living paycheck to paycheck.

Fabian and I decided that we had had enough. We don't want to be slaves to the lender. We want to be free. More importantly, we want a better life for our children. You can read the full story, here.  

        
                                 

It has been a year and a half since we started our journey to becoming debt-free and we've paid off:

$21,841.83

We still have a long way to go, but I think this is a good start!!
In the past 6 months, we moved to a new home and had a baby. Both our cars needed new brake pads, one car needed a new alternator, and other maintenance. And Fabian had to have almost $1,000 worth of dental work done. Needless to say, our emergency fund took a beating. It has been emptied and refunded and then emptied again and just recently refunded back up to $1,000. So, we are ready to get after our debt again!

I feel this year so far has been the hardest for me. I would love to have a gym membership with childcare. I would also love to send Benaiah to preschool part-time. I'd like to have new pots and pans. And I'd love a newer nicer car. The list goes on...

I can't justify doing or buying the above things because we have so much more left to pay off.
To be honest, it makes me angry that I can't, which in return motivates me to continue on this journey.  I know we are doing what we are suppose to. The sacrifices are real and we feel them. It helps knowing it's only temporary!

                                                         
 

We have seen God's favor this year. He has blessed us beyond anything we asked for or deserved.  Fabian got a job promotion within a year and a half of working with his company. He just recently transferred to a store right down the road from our house. At his new store his job comes with a bit more responsibility, which includes a raise from his current pay. Fabian and I had also been brainstorming about other ways to help pay off more debt. Well, he got a second job as an Interim Youth Pastor. And, it is a job that he loves and his passionate about!

Fabian and I have big dreams that we are zealous about. We know we are doing what the Lord wants us to. He has something planned for us. We know that it includes being out of debt.

                         
    
If we live like no one else now, we can live and give like no one else later!

All my love, 
Leah 

Have any questions? Need help or encouragement? I'm only an email away. Leah.mandujano@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for your and Fabian!! Congratulations!:)

    ReplyDelete